UBNS believes that surgery is a treatment of last resort—one that should be reserved for patients with severe, intractable conditions. For many of our patients, surgery is not a warranted or viable treatment option.
In our commitment to providing all patients with comprehensive treatment options, UBNS began offering in-house chiropractic care for the first time in August 2009 with the addition of Dr. Jon Beck to the practice. In October 2014, UBNS added yet another chiropractor, Dr. Sunjay Kapoor to better accommodate the ever-growing demand for chiropractic care. In 2017, the staff expanded to further to include two additional chiropractors Brian Geller and Keith Hull.
Chiropractic is a hands-on, non-surgical, non-pharmaceutical health care discipline used to treat disorders of the musculoskeletal and nervous systems as a means of improving overall health. Drs. Beck and Kapoor aim to identify and reduce joint dysfunction in the spine through the use of chiropractic spinal manipulative therapy. Each customizes at-home exercise programs for each patient in order to stabilize spinal and extremity structures, thereby improving strength, reducing spinal degeneration, and minimizing the opportunity for future exacerbation. All prescribed exercise programs are progressive in accordance with each patient’s willingness and ability. The application of both passive (chiropractic therapy) and active care (exercise prescription), if performed as suggested, maximizes the function of the spine and body, and reduces likelihood of re-injury.
Our chiropractors practice three highly effective chiropractic treatment techniques:
- Diversified Chiropractic Manipulation is the most widely used and commonly recognized chiropractic treatment. This technique entails the application of controlled, quick force to specific joints and targeted areas of the body in order to increase the patient’s range of mobility and stimulate the nervous system.
- Flexion-Distraction is a gentle adjustment procedure using a special table that permits the slow and careful stretch and manipulation of the back, without the application of abrupt or quick force. The goal of this therapy is the restoration of normal mobility to the spinal joints. It is often used to treat cervical and lumbar disc herniations, spinal stenosis, spinal degeneration (arthritis) and spondylolistheses (spinal instability).
Graston Technique® is an instrument assisted soft-tissue technique aimed at reducing myofascial trigger points, myofascial adhesions, and symptoms of acute or chronic muscle pain and dysfunction.
These services are ideal for patients who opt to pursue a conservative, non-surgical course of treatment for relief from spinal pain and dysfunction inclusive of, but not limited to: neck pain, back pain, headaches, arm or leg pain as it relates to the spine, shooting or electric pain in arms/legs, and/or “pins and needles” sensations, or for any individual suffering from any of the following conditions:
- Spinal degeneration (arthritis)
- Degenerative joint/disc disease
- Failed spinal surgery
- Disc displacement/herniation/bulges
- Post-surgical spinal pain and dysfunction
- Spinal stenosis
- Chronic headaches not associated with any other condition
Please visit the following links for more information on chiropractic indications and techniques:
- American Chiropractic Association
- New York State Chiropractic Association
- Association of Chiropractic Colleges
- National Center for Complementary Medicine and Alternative Medicine
- Flexion-Distraction Therapy
- Graston Technique
- Manipulation under anesthesia
Dr. Beck’s office hours are as follows:
|3980-A Sheridan Dr., Amherst, NY 14226 (Northtowns Office)|
|Monday: 8:30 a.m.–6 p.m.|
|Tuesday: 8 a.m.–4 p.m.|
|Wednesday: 8 .a.m–6 p.m.|
|Friday: 8 a.m.–4 p.m.|
Dr. Kapoor’s office hours are as follows:
|5959 Big Tree Rd., Suite 103, Orchard Park, NY 14127 (Southtowns Office)|
|3980-A Sheridan Drive, Amherst, NY 14226 (Northtowns Office)|
|Monday and Friday: 8 a.m.–5 p.m. (Northtowns Office)|
|Tuesday and Thursday: 8 a.m.–5 p.m. (Southtowns Office)|
|Wednesday: noon–3 p.m. (Northtowns Office)|
To learn more about our chiropractic services, or to make an appointment, please call our offices at 716.218.1000.